View Mobile Site

Herald History

G.C. Coleman Jr.

In 1937, three Statesboro brothers worked together to create a new newspaper for Bulloch County. Leodel, Jim and G. C. Coleman, Jr. organized a weekly newspaper and began publication on March 26, 1937 under the title of the Bulloch Herald.

The name would not change until December, 1971 when the weekly Bulloch Herald became the daily Statesboro Herald, an afternoon newspaper published five days per week. The Coleman family sold the newspaper to Charles Morris in June, 1972.

Early Newspapers
The Herald was not the first newspaper to be published in the county.

That distinction went to a paper published in the bustling community of Excelsior, now in Candler County, but in 1877 the largest town in Bulloch County. The Excelsior News was launched in August, 1877 by Rev. Washington L. Geiger, a Baptist minister.

Over the next four decades, many other newspapers would come and go, among them the first paper in the town of Statesboro, the Statesboro Eagle – established in 1882 or 1883, we’re not really sure of the date. Other papers included the Bulloch County Banner, the Banner and Eagle, the Pioneer and Eagle and others would follow.

By the 1890’s the Populist or Agrarian movements were at their peak and when the Statesboro Eagles’ owner Col. J. A. Brannen, [Statesboro’s first mayor, a future candidate for Congress and father of Maude Brannen Edge, a future columnist for a future newspaper, the Bulloch Times] refused to endorse some of the Populist demands in the county. So a stock company was formed and Col. Brannen sold the Eagle.

This left the Democrats without a voice in the county. So, one night late in the spring of 1892 a group met in the Masonic Hall to form another stock company and to start a new newspaper. This would be the Bulloch Times. Col. Greene Johnston, the Democratic nominee for the State Senate and Col. George W. Williams were among the leaders.

By the following year, the group’s enthusiasm had waned and the Bulloch Times was sold to A. C. Turner and his son D. B. Turner who had moved to Statesboro from Clearwater, Florida. The same year, J. R. Miller who had been in charge of advertising for the Times, formed his own newspaper, the Statesboro Star.

So, in 1894 Statesboro boasted three newspapers: The Bulloch Times owned by the Turners, the Bulloch County Banner headed by Col. H. G. Everett and the new Statesboro Star owned by J. R. Miller.

That situation would not last long as the Banner was moved from Statesboro to Eureka, about seven miles from Statesboro.

In early 1896, a new paper was born – the Silver Dollar, with Rev. H. A. Hodges and Col. R. Lee Moore as editors. It didn’t last beyond the spring.

In 1897, Dave Turner bought out his father and owned the Bulloch Times but operated it only briefly before selling it to T. A. McGregor. But McGregor couldn’t make a go of it and suspended publication in just a few months.

So, A. C. Turner and his son, Dave started a newspaper they called the Bulloch Herald in 1899 and would operate it for two years when it merged with the Statesboro Star in 1901 to form a new newspaper, the Statesboro News with Col. J. A. Brannen as editor and publisher.

Statesboro had just one newspaper then from 1901 to 1905 when the Bulloch Times was reestablished by a group including – among others – members of the Olliff, Coleman, Brannen, Fulcher, Moore, McCoy, Simmons, Kennedy and Outland families. This paper was edited by “Uncle” Dave Turner.

So, these two – the Statesboro News and the Bulloch Times competed until the News was closedShields Kenan and its equipment sold by the Sheriff in 1915. The following year, T. J. Denmark apparently bought the outstanding stock of the News and in early 1917, merged the News with the Times.

Then in 1919, J. R. Miller and Frank O. Miller reestablished the Statesboro Eagle and published it until late 1920 when the Bulloch Times bought it and merged the Eagle with the Times and the News.

Dave Turner would continue publishing the Bulloch Times until 1954 when he sold the paper to Shields Kenan. In 1955, Turner died and Georgia lost one of her most beloved newspapermen.

Bulloch Herald
The first edition of the Bulloch Herald boasted a pressrun of 5,000 copies and was launched with the promise to cover all of Bulloch County and featuring a well-known local woman, Mrs. Earnest Brannen as one of their featured writers. The Herald also promised reports from county correspondents from Portal to Stilson and from Clito to Register.

The newspaper competed with the Bulloch Times and both were successful, winning many awards from the Georgia Press Association.

World War II
The Coleman brothers suspended publication of the Herald during World War II. Jim held a commission in the Army Reserves so he left in 1940 when he was called to active duty.

G.C. Coleman Jr.Then came 1941 and Pearl Harbor. G. C. Coleman joined the paratroopers and left for training in mid-May, 1942. Two weeks later, the publishers announced they were suspending publication, mothballing their equipment, but that they would be back after the war was won. In July, oldest brother Leodel enlisted in the Marine Corps as a Marine Corps Combat Correspondent.

Leodel returned from the war and the Herald resumed publication in January, 1946. Jim died of injuries in a automobile accident in 1948 and G. C. came back into the paper in 1958.Leodel Coleman

In September, 1962, the Bulloch Herald bought the Bulloch Times from Shields Kenan and published both papers until December, 1962 when they merged both into one publication.

In December, 1970 the Colemans took the newspaper to five days a week and changed the name to the Statesboro Herald. Since Charles Morris purchased the paper in 1972, the Statesboro Herald has transitioned from afternoon to morning delivery to seven-days to the current six-day, Tuesday through Sunday delivery.


Please wait ...